Welcome to Day 10 of the 12 Week Home Organization Overhaul. Wow! Can you believe it is Friday already? Let’s finish strong this week so we can relax and refuel this weekend. How did your hot spot go yesterday? I hope it was fruitful and you are happy with the result.
Today, we are going to do a little back tracking to make sure everything that we have already organized is staying that way. In my home, all I have to do is turn my back and poof we have the beginning of a downhill spiral into the abyss of messiness and chaos.
- Grab a bag or box
- Start at your front door…are there items in the entry way that do not belong there? Put them in the box/bag.
- Double check and make sure everything is in its place. This is a great training time for your children. Take them with you and show them your expectations and the proper places for everything. Label thins if necessary. This is probably my greatest weakness. I do not train my kids in the expectation and then get upset when they do not put things where they belong.
- Next stop, living room. Go through the same process. Put everything that does not belong in the box/bag.
- Now, hopefully you are not like me but just in case you are….PUT EVERYTHING COLLECTED IN THE BOX AWAY. I usually set it aside and forget about it. Don’t do that. 🙂
- Hopefully, this has only taken 5 to 10 minutes. Let’s move on to the next area. I am going to move into the dining room. I think most people just eat in the dining room, so it may be a quick project. But for me, it is where most everything in my home takes place. It is my school room, home office, library, central command center, and last but not least where we eat our meals (at least when the table is clear 🙂 ). If your dining room only takes one day then move to a school room or office to finish out the project. We will work on this all of next week. That should give you an idea what is in front of me. This room is very overwhelming for me! I am trying to remind myself baby steps. This is a very big elephant for me. So, here is the first bite:
- Clear off the horizontal space (for me that is the table).
- Put everything away, throw out the things/papers that need to go! You can do this!
Tonight, we are celebrating by having dinner at the table–all of us! 🙂
What area is your hardest to keep organized? Do you have any tips that you can share with us that has helped you?
Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy your family and your home!