Welcome to Day 14 of the 12 Week Home Organization Overhaul. Today, we are technically still in the dining room area. I am tackling a closet that is in my dining room area, if you don’t have a closet maybe go through your china hutch. The key is to keep going. We want to go through every inch of our homes to de-clutter and organize.
I had an encouraging word from my 13 year old yesterday. She said, “I like that you are blogging about organizing because our house is getting cleaned out.” See our kids notice! That was enough to keep me going. I think we lose sight that our homes need to be a place of peace and order for our families not a place of clutter and chaos. A question we should be asking ourselves is “Is our home a safe refuge from the outside world? Does our home provide a place for true rest and refueling for our children and our husbands?” Let that be our goal!
Remember our steps:
- Pull everything out of the closet
- Establish your 3 piles…Throw away, give away, and put away! You must make a decision on every item. There is no “decide later” box!
Ask yourself these questions:
- Have I used it in the last 6 months to a year?
- Do I need it?
- Do I want it…and why?
- Do I have room for it?
Now only put back the things which belong….
Hope you are feeling some momentum snowballing! I know I am!
In some ways this has created some bigger messes in other areas of my home but this is only temporary! Keep pushing forward.
Here’s a couple tips I have learned:
- Remove throw away bags and give away bags immediately! This saves little eyes and hands going through and getting upset.
- Make sure dinner is planned and easy because your mind is elsewhere.
- Encourage your family to participate.
What has been your most difficult obstacle so far? Would love to hear your feedback and ideas!