Good Monday! Hope you all had an incredibly restful weekend! Welcome to Week 4 and Day 16 of the 12 Week Home Organization Overhaul. We are so excited to have you join us!
This week, we are going to tackle our kitchens! Yay! My kitchen usually take the brunt of my lack of organization because it is a high usage area by all members of my family. The kitchen is truly the busiest room in our home.
Let’s just jump in! We are going to start with our pantry. I actually have 2 pantries so I will be tackling both of them. If you do not have a pantry consider converting a closet or a large cupboard into one.
Side Note here: you may need some containers or baskets (your preference). My container of choice is Tupperware because I get the most out of my space. I used to use glass jars but I was always afraid of my little people breaking them. I do have a friend who is going through some serious allergies from plastics and has to go to everything glass. So, you have to decide what’s best for your family.
- Get your 3 boxes or bags…Throw away, give away, and put away
- Take everything out of your pantry.
- Throw out all the stale chips and things you won’t eat. You have my permission to throw them away. 🙂
- In my pantry, it is mostly food storage. But if you have other items being stored in the pantry ask yourself these questions: Have I used this item in the last year? Is it in an appropriate location? Do I have room for it? If it is food, is it expired?
- Wipe down all of the shelving and sweep the floor.
- Now to put everything back, you want to store like items together as much as possible. This is where baskets and containers come in handy. (All those half eaten bags of chips, put a clip or clothespin on them and put them in a “snack” basket.)
My pantries consist of all my dry ingredients, my extra stock of canned goods, emergency food storage and any large appliances that won’t fit in my cupboards.
Your pantry needs to work for you. I know when it starts to get messy I feel the frustration of not finding things. Try to maintain an organized pantry it makes food preparation a lot less stressful! Train your kids in where thing belong and to put things away. This can be a very daunting task. The key here is to train them. You cannot expect them to just know.
I hope you are feeling successful today! A clean and organized pantry is a good feeling! Blessings!