Hope your Tuesday is going well! We are under way in our kitchens on day 17 of the 12 Week Home Organization Overhaul. I hope your pantries went well yesterday!
Our first step today, is to completely clear our counters off. Clean and wipe them down. We want a minimal amount of items on the counters. Find a place where most everything is “put away” in a place. Our goal is to streamline our kitchens to save time with finding things and cleaning things! There is a lot of satisfaction to walk into a clutter free kitchen!
After all the cupboards are cleared off, cleaned off and clutter free, move to your favorite cupboard (we will work clockwise around the room).
- Get your 3 boxes: put away, throw away, and give away.
- Start pulling everything out of the cupboard.
- Ask yourself these questions with each item: Have I used this appliance in the last year? Do I need it? Do I have room for it? Is it a duplicate? If it’s food…is it expired?
- After the cupboard is empty, scrub it down.
- Only put back the things that you will keep and that belong.
- Wipe down the outside
Here are some tips to be thinking about as we work through our kitchens:
- Group same purpose items together ie. Baking Center, Cooking Center, and Snack Drawer or basket. Put them in a logical and strategical area. For example, put your pot holders close to the oven.
- Make your most used items the most accessible.
- You have my permission to get rid of the things you do not use….including those cookbooks you never look at. 🙂