We are on the downhill slide of another week. Crazy how time is flying by so fast! We are coming to the end of week 5 of our 12 Week Home Organization Overhaul and our homes are being transformed day by day. I LOVE IT!
Today, we are moving onto our refrigerators. Now, don’t start hyperventilating. All our fridges are is an over-sized, well used cupboard. We can do this!
Let’s begin. Make sure you have…..
- An empty and sturdy trash receptacle.
- An empty dishwasher
- A sink full of hot soapy water
- A non abrasive scratch-er pad, dish cloth, & paper towels
- A food scraper/spatula
Here we go….
- Start on the top shelf and take everything out. I recommend you toss the unknowns as you pull it out. Anything unrecognizable goes in the trash.
- All dirty dishes go into the dishwasher.
- Take out the shelf and separate the glass from the shelving. (Let the glass sit at room temperature. We don’t want to take the chance of shattering it with hot water.)
- Wipe down the shelving and the sides of the fridge.
- Wipe down every item that is going back into the fridge. (You know, all the sticky jars, etc.)
- After your glass as warmed up a bit, wash it with hot soapy water. Rinse. Put shelving unit back together and return it to it’s appropriate place.
Here is the crossroads. You can either put everything back on the shelf and move to the next shelf or leave all your items out and move to the next shelf and put everything back at the end. The choice is yous. I like to put everything back at the end so I can group and re-organize all the “like” items.
Now, you just repeat the whole process for the next shelf and/or drawer until you have done them all. Wipe down the inside of the door and the outside. Doesn’t that feel and look good! Whew! We made it!
Tip of the day: The fridge is a great place to use lazy susans or the clear Steralite containers for like items. For example, I like to put all of our sandwich condiments together in a Steralite. That way, the kids can just pull the whole thing out and have everything they need and it is easy to return in the appropriate spot.
Looking ahead: Tomorrow we will conquer the freezer!
Have a great day! Blessings to you and your house!