Who Am I? Finding Your True Identity
I can produce a long list of information about me, which might lead you to the conclusion of who I am. Things like my hobbies, my favorite things, my family, where I was born and raised may all describe who I am. Our identity is the collection of characteristics and experiences, by which we are distinctly known and recognized. Our identity is shaped with how we view ourselves and who we identify with. It’s who we ARE! Although all of those things shape every part of us, they are not our true identity.
My Identity is EVERYTHING! Maybe it’s time to start finding our true identity!
The Importance of Understanding and Knowing Your True Identity
- Identity determines purpose. What is your purpose? Why are you here?
- Identity drives behavior. Who you are determines what you do. I think of being a parent. When your child does something crazy or downright wrong, your first response is you were not raised that way. “No kid of mine….” Right?! Our kids are raised and trained to act or behave in a certain manner based on who we are as their parents. We need to know our true identity so we know the correct way to behave.
- Identity dictates the outcome of this life. Life is hard! It is for everyone. We all have our struggles and trials. But our identity dictates where we will be on the other side.
What is Your True Identity?
- You were created in the image of God with a purpose! What is your purpose? To glorify God and reflect Him. “For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:20 We have lost sight of our identity because we have lost sight of our purpose!
- Your identity is not in what you do. It is not in your achievements or accomplishments or even the roles you play. Our behavior should be driven by the fact that we are to glorify Him and He wants us to be holy. Just as we expect our children to obey, He, too, expects obedience from His children. “But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:15-16 Be Holy!
- Your identity is in what Christ has done! Our identity is no longer found in our sin, but in Christ’s righteousness. We are a new creature! He has given us victory! “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 15:57, For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith 1 John 5:4, Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. Romans 8:37
It is high time for us to take a hold of our identity and start living FROM our identity, not FOR our identity. We need to stop striving to become something or someone and BE who God created us to be and define ourselves by Jesus.