It’s epidemic. It breaks my heart!
The couple I am speaking of actually live miles apart.
This made me stop and think, as my husband and I live in separate states during the week. How do we make this work? We have been doing this for 18 months already and I have to admit, it is very difficult. But it is only for a season.
Marriage is hard. Anytime you have people living together there will be conflict. Now, take those two people who are meant to live together and put them under two roofs and we have added potential for problems.
In this economic culture, I believe there are many more families that are forced to live with these circumstances. We have not been forced. We made the decision to live with this arrangement because of other circumstances.
Navigating a long distance marriage can be tricky. Nobody wants to end up as a statistic. Couples do not go into this type of an arrangement expecting for it to end in a permanent separation.
What steps can we take to strengthen our marriage instead of it slowly deteriorating.
- Communication is crucial. In this day of technology, there is no excuse for not communicating with one another everyday. Preferably, throughout the day several times. Everyone has different preferences as to which form of technology to use. The medium doesn’t matter just do it! Make it a matter of priority!
- Remember you are still a team! Sometimes it is easy to forget that fact because you go through the day by yourself, but you are not by yourself. You have each other.
- Encourage one another daily! My husband tells me everyday how loved I am and how beautiful I am . He always makes a point to encourage me. It makes it a lot easier to get through the long days knowing that he still supports me even though he is miles away.
- Take full advantage of the time you have together. Our weekends together our short and go by so fast. I try to clear my schedule for the days that he will be home. Some things still have to go on but show each other that your relationship is important and you are willing to sacrifice to spend time together.
- PRAY! PRAY! And PRAY some more! Do not let Satan get a foothold. Hold your spouse up in prayer everyday. Listen to the Spirit’s prompting during the day for times when your spouse may need extra prayer. Communicate with each other your prayer needs. Be diligent on this matter. Pray without ceasing.
All of things can be applied to any marriage no matter the situation. You may have a very strong relationship, but these things are still a necessity. The only difference is when you are separated by miles you have to be much more intentional!