This week seemed to go a little slower than the last couple weeks. I love this time of year as all of our extra activities are coming to a close for the summer and camping is right around the corner.
Our meals usually become easier once the weather breaks. We start to eat much more salad and fresh veggies with a side of meat. 🙂 We have some great salads that are go to sides for us during the warmer months. We are excited to try some new ones and add them to our list.
This week we not only tried some new recipes, we tried some new food items. We actually ate eggplant, bok choy, tofu, and jicama. Yep, we were living life on the edge this week.
All of these recipe are either Trim Healthy Mama friendly or they are low carb and sometimes both, if they are an S in the THM eating lifestyle. I have tried to mix it up a bit and try eating more E’s instead of all S’s. The only complaint I have is that E meals do not stick with me for very long.
So let’s get to it!
- Taco Style Lentils and Rice from Hillbilly Housewife. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/tacolentilsrice.htm My family loves this recipe. We have made it in the crockpot, on the stove top, and this last time I made it in the Instant Pot. ( I sure love my new kitchen tool 😉 ). I usually double this recipe and have a little bit leftover. This makes a great meatless meal for Meatless Mondays, a taco dish for Taco Tuesday, or a hot frugal lunch. I have used quinoa instead of rice or half and half. I also add a bit of red pepper flakes for a little heat. We use it as filling for burritos or eat it with tortilla chips. Of course, for THM I just eat it plain topped with my favorite salsa or in a low carb tortilla. If you add cheese it becomes a crossover.
- Million Dollar Spaghetti from This Grandma is Fun. http://www.thisgrandmaisfun.com/million-dollar-spaghetti/#_a5y_p=2552182 This was a family favorite. I am not a huge spaghetti fan, but this was tasty. I use the Dreamfield’s Spaghetti noodles despite the controversy. This fed my entire family plus two extra adults with very little left over. Add a salad on the side and some French Bread for the kiddos and you have a wonderful comfort food meal. 🙂 I love that it is all in one dish. Just a note, I also use homemade spaghetti sauce.
- Stir-fried eggplant with sweet chili garlic sauce from Cooks Illustrated. I tried to give you a link but I had to have a membership or sign up for the trial. We actually found it in my daughter’s recipe book. She made this and added a stir-fried tofu to it as well. It had awesome flavor, but none of us were to hot on the texture. Well except maybe my husband. We think the tofu needed to be cooked a bit longer. We were pressed for time so it may have been under cooked a bit.
- Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Cream Pie from The Sunny Patch. http://thesunnypatch.ca/trim-healthy-mama-no-bake-chocolate-cream-pie/ Oh my this was so good. I had a craving for chocolate pie and I went on a search. It happened to be Dessert Fellowship so I took it to church. Big mistake! I would have much rather kept this one to myself. It was that yummy. I did use the crust recipe too, but I baked it. http://thesunnypatch.ca/trim-healthy-mama-no-bake-pie-crust/
- Turtle Cheesecake bars from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen. http://mrscriddleskitchen.com/turtle-cheesecake-bars-s/ We have made these several times now. They are so good. I have also taken these to Dessert Fellowship and they get scarfed up pretty fast. These are very rich bars sand a little packs a big punch. But be forewarned before you know it the pan will be gone. Just a side note…the caramel recipe she links to is too die for! http://simplyhealthyhome.com/trim-healthy-mama-caramel-sauce/
Hope you enjoy your week!
Do you have any new recipes for us to try out? Leave the link in the comments! We will give it a whirl.