It wasn’t until I started following the Trim Healthy Mama eating lifestyle that I became much more picky on the recipes I was trying out simply because of waste. I have to admit we have eaten some pretty yucky stuff! I am not sure I would even go so far as to call it food!
My husband and my kids have been so great about it though. They usually give me an honest opinion, however, they all have become masters at masking bad taste with Frank’s Hot sauce.
At this stage of my THM journey, I now have a ton of people asking me for family friendly meals and I usually point them to my pinterest, until my dear friend Bethany overheard a conversation and chimed in with a “check her blog!”
It was at that moment that I decided to do a weekly recipe roundup review. I will be completely honest with you, I am a bit nervous about it! But I do want to be a great resource for you. I will make sure to give you exactly where I found the recipe and the original links, so it will require you to visit some other sites. There also may be recipes that I found in a cookbook or other written sources. I will try my best to give you all the information you need to find the recipe without me copying it. I want to give the proper credit where it is due.
Most of the recipes I will review will fall under the THM guidelines or may be tweaked a little to stay on that course. But I am warning you I do have a streak of cravings and sometimes go off plan 😉 .
I will certainly let you know when that happens!
Also, a couple side notes about myself to help give you an idea as to some reasons I may not like different recipes. First, I am a mood eater. If I am not in the mood for something, I am probably not going to like it. I will find something wrong with it. I will try to be upfront with you on my bad mood days. Secondly, I am a texture girl. Maybe I should reword that. I am NOT a texture girl. The texture alone could give it a place never to be seen on my table again even if most of the family likes it.
Also, on another note, I have a good sized family. There are 8 of us and our kids range from ages 6 to 15 (I should also say my kids are pretty good eaters). I will try to let you know how well it feeds our family (leftovers vs. no leftovers). If you have questions, please ask because I am sure you will not be the only one.
So without further adieu….here are the recipes for this week’s review.
Because Frank’s Hot sauce is a staple in our house here are some favorites we have found…
- Crockpot Buffalo Ranch Chicken Wings from The Frugal Girls. This recipe has been a go to meal in a pinch by using my Instant Pot. I use drumsticks instead of wings and I use just the plain ol’ Franks. I also use homemade ranch mix instead of the store bought. Add a side dish (we usually just have salad and raw veggies). My kids love this meal and although, I am not a huge fan of Frank’s this is a yummy way to prepare it!
2. One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta from Spoonful of Flavor. I wasn’t sure how I would like this, but wow this was yummy! All of my clan loved it! It does have a bit of spice to it, but even my six year old liked it! I did double this recipe and still had no left overs. This was a fast easy recipe that I made in my electric frying pan. I did use Dreamfields Penne Pasta for a low carb meal.
3. Crockpot Broccoli Cheddar Soup from Creme de la Crumb. This is a great comfort food recipe! I love that I can make it in the crockpot and in my Instant Pot. This is a crowd pleaser recipe as I have taken it to ladies brunches and fellowship potlucks with many compliments. I have tweaked it a bit to make it THM friendly. I do not mess with the butter and flour, I just sprinkle some glucomanann and call it good. I also use heavy whipping cream and half and half instead of the milk. I usually end up doubling this recipe and it makes for the perfect lunch. I usually (and purposefully) have leftovers. I LOVE this soup reheated!
4. Slow Cooker Dark Chocolate Cake from All Day I Dream About Food. I am pretty sure there has not been one recipe from All Day I Dream About Food that has not been tasty. This cake is no different. I have taken this cake to Dessert Fellowship only to be devoured! This cake is the best! It is wonderful topped with whipped cream or even just a splash of half and half. Of course, I probably do not have to say that all of my kids love this cake. I usually end up hiding the last couple pieces 🙂 !
5. Cool Aid from Lexie’s Kitchen and Living. I am a long time fan of Kool-aid! But I refuse to fill my kids up with all that unhealthy sugar and junk found in the Kool-Aid packets. This is a fabulous drink for all of the family. With the apple cider vinegar and it’s added health benefits, this makes a great refreshing, sugar-free drink for the summer. All of my kids love this beverage. We have tried many different flavors, and our favorites are the Stash Organic Herbal Wild Berry, and the Celestial Seasonings Blueberry! I cannot keep enough made! My kids also really like the Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry Zinger, but I am not really a cherry fan.
I hope that gives you some new recipes to try this week! Let me know what you think and if you try anything new! Have a great week!