I absolutely love these refrigerator bran muffins. I have very fond memories of having these as a kid. My Aunt Gloria used to make them when we would come to visit and every now and then my mom would surprise us with the big Tupperware bowl in the fridge. My brothers and I knew what that meant! Pure morning yumminess!
Over the years, I have changed things up a bit to beef them up and make them healthier for my growing brood. But they still taste just as I remember them.
- 2 C. oats
- 2 c. All Bran (cereal)
- 2 c. Shredded Wheat (cereal)
- 2 c. boiling water
- ½ c. butter
- ½ c. coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 c. sugar or sweetener equivalent
- 1 qt. buttermilk
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c. whey protein
- ½ c. plain greek yogurt
- Soak the oats, all bran, and shredded wheat in the water.
- Mix and fill greased or papered muffin pan ⅔ full.
- Bake at 375 for 18-25 minutes
- Store batter up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator
This is such a great recipe to just stick in the fridge, pull out and make fresh muffins on a as needed basis.
So, just in case you want to know these are the changes I made to the original.
- 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. coconut oil for 1 c. shortening
- whole wheat pastry flour for all purpose flour (I have even use part oat flour)
- the whey protein and greek yogurt I just added for protein…not on original recipe
I hope you find these as yummy as I do. Let me know what you think! I would love your comments!