It is amazing to think we have been doing this for almost 7 weeks. I hope you are sticking with us. If not, please do not give up! It is really OK to come in and out on our assignments. Just do not quit! You can do it! Home organization is not something we do once and then call it good. It is a life long discipline. Especially for those of us who are not natural born organizers. But it is a skill that can be learned and we can become proficient at it. So, hang in there! Keep up the good work! Don’t give up! You can do it!
We are in the process of organizing one of our kids’ rooms. I have chosen my girls’ room, simply because it is long overdue and very necessary! I have 3 girls in that room, a 14 year old, 13 year old, and a turning 5 on Saturday year old. 🙂 As you can well imagine, it has been an adventure!
Today, I want to conquer the toys! I don’t know about you, but I have a difficult time getting rid of toys. Although, it has paid off for me. I have not had to buy many toys for Mattie (my 5 year old,) as I still had toys from the older 2 girls. But they have lacked organization for awhile now.
Tools you may need: Steralite containers, cubbies, fabric boxes
- Sort all toys according to kind, ie. Barbies, Littlest Pet Shop, Tea sets.
- Remember your 3 boxes, put away, throw away, give away.
- Throw away all broken toys.
- Give away (or store away for upcoming children) all grown out of toys.
- You may consider, if your child has too many toys, to put 1/2 to 2/3 of the toys away (out of sight) to rotate in and out.
- Only allow your child to play with one tub of toys at a time. Before they can play with something different, they must pick up the contents of the other tub. Here is where I have gone wrong lately. I have made all the tubs accessible to Mattie. In the past, I kept them out of reach. I think I will be going back to this system for her. With my boys, I label where everything goes.
Try to be ruthless with the toys. I know I really struggle with this. Our kids are like us. They also have too much stuff! I think we have taught them well. 🙁
Good luck today! I hope it all goes well! Blessings to you and your families!
Looking ahead: Next week, I am moving to my boys’ room. Do any of you have some great ideas on how to store/ organize legos? They are my nemesis! That and air soft pellets! 🙂