I am drowning in a sea of stuff. What started out as a simple assignment, the book shelves, has turned into utter chaos! I had no idea how out of hand my home organization had gotten.
I must step back, breathe deep, and forge on! Ok, here’s my problem. I have gone to put things away or “in there place” and those places have been overrun with other things that don’t belong, my paper filing system has fallen apart at the seams, and I feel like I could scream. But instead, I will breathe and count to 10 and start at square one.
Today, let’s set up some systems for all our papers so we can move forward.
Tools for today:
- boxes or containers- I have found that the legal file boxes work fabulous. They are strong, sturdy, and stackable
- File folders or binders-I use binders for everyday things like bills, important docs, etc. I use file folders for long-term storage like old bible studies. I use manilla envelopes for my yearly taxes and things that must be contained together.
- Some sort of labeling tool- my tool of choice is a sharpie
Depending on your personality, your system details may look differently. You may be someone who is not into details so your categories and files may be broad. Others may have very detailed categories Here are some categories you might consider:
Very the broad:
- Important Documents
For the more detailed:
- Important Documents- Birth Certificates, Deeds, Immunization Tercords, etc
- Bank Accounts
- Instruction Manuals
- Etc….make them as detailed as you wish, but remember it does no good if it is too detailed and you won’t use it. Make it user friendly and easily accessible!
For those of you who are of the perfectionist personality, please remember baby steps! You cannot possibly do this all in one sitting! That’s how I got into this sea of chaos, I tried to jump ahead and it came back to bite me.
I also have to say that going digital may be an option for some of you. I know, I have slowly been going that direction and using Evernote to get rid of paper documents and store them all digitally. It has just taken awhile to get that all figured out. Don’t wait to get organized until you figure it out. Start organized the hard copies and slowly add them to the digital systems as you figure them out. Don’t procrastinate. Just do it…eat that elephant one bite at a time!
How are you doing with today’s assignment? I have to admit it has been pretty overwhelming for me. But one day at a time. YOU CAN DO IT!
Here are some tips for success:
- Set a timer- you can do anything for 15-20 minutes. Try not to do too much or you will burn out.
- Make sure you eat well, drink lots of water, and get good rest!
- Stay focused on the area you are working in.